About Mallorca

May 14, 2017

Arta
In my blog posts I include a lot of the places that I visited, so I though it would be a good idea to make a post about Mallorca itself. Before I went to Spain, I didn't know much about the island. After spending two weeks living there and some other research as part of my project, I learned more about the beautiful island and its rich history.

Majorca Guides
Mallorca is the largest of the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean. The other major islands in the archipelago (group of islands) include Minorca, Ibiza, and Formentera. There are also smaller islands, such as Cabrera and Dragonera. The Balearic Islands make up a province of Spain. Mallorca is the name of the island in Catalan and Spanish, and the American name is Majorca. The native name of Minorca is Menorca. The words major and minor are in the names of the islands. Majorca is the larger, and Minorca is the smaller. 


World Easy Guides
Mallorca is about 3,600 square km and has a population of almost 900,000. Over 400,000 people live in the capital of Palma alone. Palma, or Palma de Mallorca, is the largest city in Mallorca and is the main capital of the Balearic Islands. 

Peninsula del Llevant
The island is very diverse in climate and geography. There are basically three different geographic parts to the island; the Tramuntana mountains in the Northwest, the smaller Llevent mountains in the east, and the flat plains that lie in the middle. The plains are great for agriculture and there are many farms that grow various produce, such as artichokes, citrus fruits, grapes, figs, dates, almonds, and apricots just to name a few. The Mediterranean climate makes it perfect to grow many different kinds of fruit, some of which grow year round. By far my favorite fruit was nisperos, a mix of an orange and a peach. when ripe, they were so incredibly sweet and juicy picked right off the tree. 


It's easy to see why Mallorca is such a popular tourist destination. With the gorgeous beaches, incredible mountains, and Mediterranean weather, it is a perfect place to visit for holiday. They have many German and English visitors every year. Many of the signs are both in Spanish and English, and sometimes German. There were more signs in the cities or touristy places with signs in English. One time I was given a menu that was both in English and German. Mallorca has millions of tourists every year. While I was there it was spring break so many people were traveling there. People come from all over Europe, I even saw some people from Australia, to visit the beautiful island.

Arta
The weather there was always around 75 degrees. It was a bit cooler but nice in the mornings and then pretty hot around noon. The evenings could get chilly. It never rained the two weeks I was there and was only cold two days with the wind. The rainy season is in the winter months and then there is much more greenery. In the summer it is very hot and everything is very dry. It was a really nice break from the cold weather back home for two weeks. In the south part of the island it gets very hot and is more dry than the coast with the mountain areas.

Palma Harbor
There are hundreds of beaches and coves on the island. This is one of the main tourist attractions and the biggest have many people visit every day. They views seem like a picture perfect postcard. My favorite place was Cala Deia. Cala means "cove" in Spanish or Catalan. Below are photos from there. It was so perfect with the amazing views and the clear, turquoise water.


There are many beautiful towns with their own history. There are many castles and famous cathedrals. Its fascinating to go to a little town and it is older than the entire United States. I'll have more detail on specific places in other blog posts. I loved the old cobble streets and the incredible architecture of the churches. There was so many places to visit and learn about history and Spanish culture. 

Valldemossa
I loved being in Mallorca and I hope to go back one day soon. It is such a beautiful place full of history. I can't wait to swim in the turquoise Mediterranean sea again. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About Me

About Me
I'm Abby, a hopeful globetrotter. I love traveling and new adventures. My latest trip was to Spain and I decided to make this blog to share my experiences and stories.

Where I've been

Popular Posts